Fibromyalgia syndrome is a chronic condition that affects the muscles and soft tissue.
Symptoms include chronic muscle pain, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points, which can be relieved through medications, lifestyle changes and stress management. The pain is felt over the entire body and can be deep, sharp, dull, throbbing, or aching. This disease is more common in women than in men, and the cause is not yet known exactly.
Fibromyalgia is most likely caused by genetic factors, head or spine trauma, hormonal disorders, viral infections, rheumatism, stress, etc..
Symptoms: fatigue, stiff joints, especially in the morning, sensitivity to light and loud noises, smells, muscle pain, tingling or numbness.
Fibromyalgia can not be cured completely, all you can do is to improve symptoms with medication and herbal treatments.
Here there are some natural remedies for fibromyalgia:
- Exercise – reduces stress, increase endorphin levels in the body to relieve pain. Start with 20 minutes of exercise 3 times a week, then you can increase the frequency of workouts.
You can do aerobics (soil or water), stretching exercises, cycling, etc. No need to struggle with heavy exercise, the idea is to keep the body moving every day.
- Yoga and meditation – relaxation exercises, deep breathing, tai chi and meditation can help relieve symptoms of fibromyalgia. Yoga exercises can reduce pain, stiffness, and you’ll sleep better; this can relieve depression and anxiety. Practice yoga for half an hour a day, go to tai chi classes, exercising muscle relaxation.
- Epsom salt – placed in daily bath, helps the body absorb magnesium, which is important because fibromyalgia is associated with magnesium deficiency. An Epsom salt bath will bring relaxation and lessens the pain.
Put two cups of Epsom salt in the bath water and stay in the water for 20 minutes, 3 times a week.
- Omega-3 fatty acids. These acids reduce the inflammation and neuropathic pain.
Take 1-2 tablespoons daily of fish oil. Eat weekly herring, sardines, anchovies, tuna or wild salmon.
Other good sources of omega-3 fatty acids are walnuts, flaxseed, canola or soybean oil. You can also take supplements based on omega-3 after having consulted a doctor.
- Acupuncture and acupressure. These two methods will help restore the energy levels, help to a better relaxation, and decreases anxiety. Although this fibromyalgia treatment seems to relieve pain, the results are not long-lasting.
- The massage relaxes muscles, helps get rid of stress and helps increase endorphins.
- Apple cider vinegar restores the normal pH of the body, helps blood circulation. Apple cider vinegar reduces gastrointestinal problems, headaches or joint pain, fatigue and inflammation.
Put 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink twice a day. If you can add some honey.
- Paprika is a natural remedy – hot peppers contain capsaicin, which is very good for blood circulation and relieves pain. Add cayenne pepper in your diet or take supplements with capsaicin.
- Turmeric has high anti-inflammatory properties, and treat fibromyalgia, which is caused by rheumatism. It helps reduce pain and stiffness. Place one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of milk, boil it and drink twice a day. Add turmeric powder in your diet or take supplements of turmeric, after you have consulted a doctor.
- Ginger is a natural remedy for fibromyalgia, that has anti-inflammatory qualities and can reduce the pain of fibromyalgia. Boil a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger for 10 minutes; then strain and drink the tea three times a day.